Sunday, July 17, 2005

Day 9: Texarkana to De Queen

Start: Texarkana (Don't ask me if it was Ark or Texas...it changes a dozen times on the same road)
End: De Queen
52 miles

Today's ride was 52 of the best miles of bicycling in Arkansas! Serious! I will be coming back to ride this road again! I stayed on Hwy 71 the whole time and it's new road with the best paved shoulders so far this trip! I had the wind to my back pushing me along, rolling hills, light traffic. Just the best! I got clocked going through Ashdown on the radar at 22 mph. I laughed and later there was a guy at the c-store that had been coming up behind me and you would have thought I burnt the pavement. "Were you really going that fast?"

The next town up is Locksburg. There are certain little Arkansas towns that have an old town charm and Locksburg was one of those. Not much there, but what they have is nice. Old homes and lazy cats. I stopped at the store there for water and the lady behind the counter ask how far I was going. I had just seen a sign for Fort Smith: 132 miles, so I told her that once I knock out this next 132 miles I would have gone the full circle around the state. The store came to life! It was strange saying that. The full circle is about to happen!!!!! I'm sitting here and I'm realizing that in about 48 hours I would have ridden all the way around the state of Arkansas for the kids of ACH!!!!

Now I gotta tell you honestly I wasn't expecting dooley in De Queen but buddy, I'm in paradise here! Actually I'm in the Palace Motel but I'm great! The room is a basic motel room but the shower is hooked up to the power car wash! Best shower in Arkansas! I have no skin left! HA! There is a restaurant right here and it's almost as good as going to my mom's after church ... I said almost! Can't wait for supper!

Speaking of church, I really felt bad that I wasn't able to go today. To make myself feel better I sang church songs all morning long. My daughter asked me if I just sang them to myself or really sang them. I laughed and told her I belted them out at the top of my lungs! I mean who's gonna hear me? Gee maybe that's why the dog chased me and the cows ran?! I didn't think of that! I also thought about the time of the day that it was and thought of friends back home in Bible class. I know several folks have sent emails to me to let me know they and their family and friends are thinking about me and praying for a safe trip. So I'm riding along thinking of my friends in Bible school, right, so what happens ... let me tell you ... I think someone was praying "Lord, please keep Geo cool" because it started raining! I looked up and said "God, I really don't think that's what they meant!" HA! The rain was just a very short shower.

I meant to say too that while we were in the Palace Restaurant there was a jar up on the counter for a kid that is about to have heart surgery. For a buck you could register for a bike giveaway. Craig is a 17 yr old and the money will go toward his medical bills. Here's the deal folks, if you donate, then put Geo's Bike ride but also put a slash and put Craig's name on there. I know this is for the "Greatest Need" fund but when you are in a small town and you see something like this, you just have to try something. So let's do it for Craig! Donate!!! http://www.archildrens.org/. You can also send a check to Arkansas Children's Hospital Foundation, 800 Marshall St, Slot 661, Little Rock, AR 72202 ... Geo's Ride/Craig. Well it's been a fun day! Monday will take me to Mena then I'm heading to Fort Smith on Tuesday ... back to the Hampton Inn on Rogers Ave and the Wal-Mart where it all started.

Mount Everest is within reach!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home