Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Day 4: Salem to Jonesboro

Start: Salem 6:30 am
End: Jonesboro 3:15pm
93 miles

Special thanks to Becky and Jeff Wade for donating the room for me tonight! Super couple!

What a fun day of riding! I tired but I'm not hurting anywhere. I started the morning in Salem with dark clouds and very cool temps. Got over to, oh crud, I forgot the name of the town ... it's about 6 miles outside of Hardy. Anyway, met with Chris Wulff of Areawide Media. Very nice lady with a great smile. We visited for a few moments then it was on the road again.

Hardy: My new favorite little town! I wished I could have stayed there in the downtown area. I stopped for my morning Snickers (I won't tell you how many I have eaten but it's massive now!) and the folks at the c-store in Hardy are a nice as folks can get! The guys in the eating area thought I had lost my mind! One lady told me that if it weren't for Children's that her granddaughter would not be alive today. She got teary eyed. Those are the stories that make the ride worthwhile. I have to admit, Lisa Adams the fantasic staff of our NICU are second to none!

HWY 412: I really want to say this is a great Hwy for cyclist but I can't. Way to many 18 wheelers, and construction. I did see one other roadie coming from the the other direction. Seeing another cyclist gave me added strength! Don't get me wrong, from Black Rock to about Hoxie turnoff is some prime riding with huge shoulders without gravel.

Hearn's Deli and Produce: My new best friends! I had to walk my bike over the Black River so I was bummed about that and I really had hoped I would have seen farmer produce stand by now but with the rain they weren't out. Hearn's is a place just this side of the bridge and they are as freindly as it comes! Had a HUGE turkey and swiss sandwich and fresh banana. They even had fried pies which I love but figured best not to eat one this time. I sat outside on the bench with the black lab (Yes, Emily, I know you want one).

Hwy 91: I went to Eygpt today! The road through there was excellent with the farmers that all wave. Farmers are great aren't they? The farm dogs would stand up, shake off the dust, look at me and lay back down. I laughed. When this trip is over I might do that too! HA! There was a very pretty little Church of Christ out in the middle of nowhere and it had a small pond beside it. Stopped and had a banana there and told God thanks for the tailwind pushing me along at 24 mph!

Jonesboro: Kim, if you are reading this, bless your heart! I mean it! I got to the Holiday Inn this afternoon and opened the door to a gift package from Kim. I'm going to get shot saying this but it's Rance's Kim (yep, the girl my trainer dates). She lives in J'Boro. Rance had told me to take the access road but I thought it would be quicker to buzz through town. I seem to always get into trouble when I don't listen to the trainer! I spoke with Kim on the phone and now I understand why Rance likes this girl. What a sweetheart!

Another story of the kindness of Jonesboro folks is the guy that not only gave me directions but blocked traffic for a moment in his truck to get me over to the access road. He is a runner.

Media: I might have missed a big media chance but I was determined that I was going to take it easy riding in. Then my cell phone battery said no more juice. If you are media and I missed your deadline, I'm really sorry.

Family: They are doing fine and I talk to Terri a several times a day and Tyler and Emily too. I don't like hurricanes at all but the new Hurricane Emily is a perfect name for Emily Cobb! HA!

Tommorrow takes me to West Helena and the Weather Channel says the wind will be from the north to the south! Possible showers but then said that about today but just got a spit shower or two...or maybe it came from one of those dump trucks (HA!). Who knows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home