Monday, July 11, 2005

Day 3: Yellville to Salem

Start: Yellville 6:15
End: Salem: Noon
62 miles

Special thanks to my friend Juanita at Children's for donating the room for me tonight! Love you girl!

I didn't sleep very well at all! The hurricane was supposed to dump rain on north Arkansas, there was a flood light shining right in my window, and today was the first day that I was going the distance fully loaded. I had all the fears of "what if".

Once I got going I was fine. I stopped in Cotter for refreshments and why do they always have to come in when I'm there? I talking about the guys the work outside. NWAR Electric Co-op were working in the area and there I stood in my bike shorts and cleats tapping the floor when I walked. There are times I would give anything to be standing in jeans and a t-shirt. One of the guys had just gotten a mohawk and the co-workers where joking with him about it. It was hidden under a baseball cap. He took it off and the place roared. It was then my turn at the check out and the mohawk had been in front of me, when he turned around I told him I would have gotten one of those too but I was already dressed so bad that I was probably about to get run out of town. They all started laughing again. Just the good ole boys!

The guys had told me I would hit rain about 17 miles down the road. Oh man, I rode across Lake Norfolk and the wind got bad! I was very nervous going over the bridge, even though it had huge shoulders and no traffic. I was riding sideways/titled. Then the rain came. About 30 miles of riding in the rain. It had it's bonus though...need a drink, just open your mouth! I suspect when I get to the Delta, it will be, need a snack, just open your mouth! Eat a bug!

Saw a pair of big deer! Big rack! No, I'm not giving you guys the location!

I got to Salem at noon and David the publisher of the newspaper group up there (Areawide Media) Met me in the parking lot and asked if I wanted to grap some lunch. I was starving but had to change clothes. He came back in 30 minutes and we had a nice lunch at the Dairy Queen there and he introduced me to one of the editors who's name was also George. Nice guys.

I was worried about dinner since the rain was really coming down now but there was actually a place in Salem called Dale's Pizza that delivered! I was saved! I ate big! I thought ahead and ordered cinnamon sticks so I would have something for breakfast. They were great! They are actually breadsticks with and apple and cinnamon filling.

Tomorrow I head for the big city of Jonesboro! Looking forward to that! (Note to my sister Sherry and my co-workers...I need a latte! Maybe I can find one there!)

Note to Rance: Serious bro, Homers fried chicken is starting to sound really good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home