Saturday, July 09, 2005

Day 1: Ft Smith to Springdale

Photos: Howdy and welcome to Oklahoma! Oh crap! Wrong bridge! Channel 5 News in Ft Smith the night before. Vince Cucco and myself at the Wal-Mart parking lot about to start the ride. Finally heading toward Alma. Start time 6am Start city: Fort Smith End City: Springdale End time: Noon Average speed: 13.7 (There's a 9 mile climb. Longest in Arkansas) Thank you Vince Cucco! I enjoyed the ride!
Honestly friends, I don't know where to start! What a great past couple of days it has been. We got to Ft Smith around 6 and checked in to the Hampton Inn. Oh man, you should see this Hampton Inn. Absolutely beautiful! I asked the girl at check in if it was new and she said it was 11 years old. We all just looked at each other. This is one of the prettiest hotels I've stayed in. I wished I could have said I slept well but didn't, just too nervous. To Michael and the staff of Hampton Inn... 5 stars!!
Saturday morning 5am came and I had butterflies in my stomach. I had forgotten my riding gloves during the packing even though the list was checked 3 times. Lucky for me Wal-Mart where we started carried gloves. Crisis over!
I met Vince Cucco in the parking lot and we got started. The moment I started pedaling I felt all the worries go! I was doing what I came to do ... ride. Ok here's the funny part of the story that folks are going to joke about but I'm going to be honest here. We took a wrong turn! Within minutes Vince and I where riding over the Arkansas River Bridge to see a big old "Welcome to Oklahoma" sign. I was laughing so hard. I told him that this was what makes life an adventure!
We finally got turned around and heading to Alma then toward Fayetteville. The ride was actually fun, yes, even the big ole hill. I dropped down the gears and paced myself and climbed and climbed and climbed. But the views from the climb were worth every stroke! Northwest Arkansas, man you're beautiful!
Got to Fayetteville and there were a group of guys and girls about to head out for a ride. A few minutes later I was surrounded with the united colors of NW Arkansas. There were so many different bright jersey’s and I'll be a lot of money to have had to photo of it. Super nice folks!
Here's one thing I will point out: Central Arkansas could learn from NW ARK!! Did you know that I was on an extremely busy road and only one honk! The cyclist are visible everywhere! We saw them in the mountains, in town, you name it! There are family rides on weeknights, and huge group rides on weekends. Cyclist heaven! To the groups out riding and wishing me good luck, thank you, it was an honor to ride along with you for a little bit.
The ride finished up right around noon. 75 miles with an average spend of 13.7 (Stop rolling your eyes, there was that 9 mile mountain to climb). 2 newspapers and a TV crew filming the end of the first day.
Tomorrow 6am is going to come early. I'll be going from Springdale to Harrison. Shorter hills but steeper.
**Note: My in-laws have boarded up their house (Navarre/Pensacola, FL) and came to North Little Rock to wait out the hurricane. Please keep the FL panhandle in your thoughts. The area cannot handle this again.
***Another note: If the hurricane produces rain during this tour, I will stay put wherever I happen to be. I'm not risking safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home