Sunday, July 10, 2005

Day 2: Springdale to Yellville

Start: Springdale
End: Yellville

Want a great experience? Bicycle in NW ARK!

Today's ride took me along Hwy 412 to Harrison then a shutteled through town due to no shoulder and everyone in Arkansas must have gone to Branson this past weekend. Heavy traffic! You folks in NW ARK are the best! The ride made two papers up here so kids, we were the talk of the town today! Folks were driving by and slowing way down and honking and rolling down their windows and giving me the thumbs up, groups stopped on the side of a big climb and cheered me up the mountain, folks stopped and took photos and cheered! Honest, the "mountain people" are the best! One guy stopped on the side of the road and asked me where he could donate! Just felt like Tour de France in Arkansas! NW ARK, serious, thank you for making my first two days of the tour a great one!

If you are up in NW ARK, Hwy 412 is a good one to ride.

Terri and Emily left this afternoon to head back to Sherwood. Makes it a lot easier to say that they are only a couple of hours away.

Got a motel room in Yellville at the Carlton-Marion Inn. Nice quite little country inn that's very well kept. The plan was really to stay in Harrison but with the threat of bits of Hurricane Dennis, we went further than expected. Glad too because they are saying gusty winds of 15-25 mph. These are going to be head winds too! Hoping they don't blow until the afternoon. If I can get to Salem tomorrow then we will be able to stay on schedule. Mountain Home is the town before Salem so if I have to I can stop there if weather is wicked. The roads here are much like the type that are out in the Scott/England area. Rough which is actually good for the ride if raining. I've gone through a couple of those oiled/slick roads today but they were dry. Wet would spell danger!

Tomorrow will also be the first day with the fully loaded bike. Since I had Terri and Emily (and Melissa), there wasn't reason to carry 12 extra lbs of clothing and such.

Favorite things from today's ride:
Getting to see the mountains from the top. Beautiful!
The cheering section that became my best friends.
The Store in Dry Creek and the farmer thattold me about the road ahead.
How nice the Carlton-Marion is in Yellville!
The blue and orange flowers that grow on the side of the road.

Come back tomorrow for adventures of Day 3: Yellville to Salem

Oh yeah, camera is fighting the computer so I'll upload photos as soon as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home