Friday, July 15, 2005

Day 7: McGehee to El Dorado

Start: McGehee 7am
End: El Dorado 2:30pm
95.78 miles

Yes, I know I said yesterday that tomorrow (which is today) will be an easy day. I got to Crossett at 11 in the morning. No way could I stop so I did a two day schedule today and came on in to El Dorado. So this means that the schedule has changed!!

Here's what's left...
Saturday: El Dorado to Texarkana
Sunday: Texarkana to DeQueen
Monday: Dequeen to Mena
Tuesday: Mena to Fort Smith (The circle will be complete!)
Wednesday: Fort Smith to Danville
Thursday: Danville to Home
Friday: Home to ACH

I had a very touching story today. It came out of the blue in one of the small town c-stores. I was finishing up my buy and an older gentleman approached me and said he had heard what I was doing. He told me about his little grandbaby ... pride and joy! The baby was taken to ACH and lost a battle. His grandbaby died. With all the strength he could, he told me the story. I stood there watery eyes and all. It was his first grandchild. He told me of the compassion that was given throughout the whole ordeal. He told me about the doctors and called them by name. He told me about the other staff members and how they stayed with the family long past when others had left. There is a good part to the story. That was several years ago and the family has been blessed with a beautiful new grandchild. Funny how these stone faced farmers come to life when the grandkids are involved. We shook hands and it was one of the hand shakes that lasted a long time. He was telling me and ACH thank you the whole time. As I rode off, I realized that the water coming down my face this time wasn't sweat, it was tears. This day is dedicated to the little baby that watched me and his granddad from his cloud today. They still love you and miss you little fella!

A TV news crew chased me today. KTVE 10 out of LA chased me down Hwy 82 today. I stopped and gave an interview which we saw on the 6 o'clock news here. Nice guys. Funny story ... they wanted me to be putting on some of my gear as I was about to ride off and due to the cloudy day, I have a bright safety vest that I wear over my jersey. When I put it on, it got tangled around my neck! Of course THAT would be in the clip! Terri and I laughed!

One of the things I meant to tell you yesterday were that ALL the vehicles in the West Helena to McGehee area are white pickups. They must have some weird law that says you can only buy white pick ups. Now guess what happened today? After I left McGehee and took some country roads, all the vehicles were black!!???

There is a great c-store just east of Mist and it's a c-store, bait shop, diner, and quilting ladies hangout. But the girls know how to market! They are the first to have cold Snickers!

I came out of the flatland today into rolling hills. But it was rolling hills with a lot of wind at the end. Storms were brewing. I was fun to change gears and the air seems drier. Read: attitude improvement.

Terri and Emily and one of her best friends whose name is also Emily came down to hang out for the weekend. We will go over to Texarkana tomorrow. I'll ride out early and meet them there early afternoon. They can sleep in.

During today's ride just outside of Crossett and car went by and whoever was in the car had the same perfume that Terri wears. Ok, yes, it made me pedal faster! The faster I pedaled the sooner I would see Terri. And it was so good to see her this afternoon. She and Emily just sort of pecked me but once we got in and I showered they both smothered me in kisses and hugs! My girls!

One more story and this one takes places just west of Crossett. I was about to hit a long stretch of nothing but road and there were no more c-stores to stock up on water and Snickers so I was going to have to go back about a half mile then there was a shaved ice stand! Snow cones baby!!! I asked the lady if I could get my water bottles filled and she gave it to me. No charge. I thought I was in heaven later down the road when I took my first sip! Man, it was the coldest, freshest water I had ever drank. So if you are ever in Crossett and see the Shaved Ice stand, lock those brakes up and order a lot! She's a sweetheart!

Looks to be a fun weekend ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home