Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Day 5: Jonesboro to West Helena

Start: Jonesboro 6:30a
End: West Helena 3:18p
Miles: 103

A cloudy morning to start riding but that was a good thing actually. I was lucky to have overcast until almost noon, then I had a cloud or two for shade. Otherwise, it was me riding through the rice and cotton fields. One of the things I wanted to do on this trip was go slow enough to take notice just how much of Arkansas is farmed. Ok, I've got a pretty good idea! The rice fields are great to ride through because the breeze coming off the fields would be cool on one side and the heat of the road would be hot on my left side. Weird feeling.

I didn't update again last night but Jonesboro has a GREAT Circle of Friends chapter there! They came by and said howdy and gave me a gift card for the Ruby Tuesday's that was a stones throw from the hotel. Thank you very much Jill and Sarah! I told Rance what I had eaten and he said, laughing, "Well, it sounds like you are getting your calories!" I never eat like this but I had the Steak and Crapcake combo with a huge baked potato and broccili. To be perfectly honest, when I got finished and really wanted to ask for another order!

Back to today ... When folks tell you that you would be happy just to shift gears in the delta, believe them! I was riding at times completely zoned out. My pal, Jason Ketcher tried to talk me into an MP3 player before I left. Why do I not listen to my friends? OK, I'll say this in a different way, "Oh why do I not turn up my hearing aid when friends try to tell me something?" HA! I was outside of Marianna and I was trying to sing Sweet Home Alabama and forgot the words half way through. Honest, I almost stopped and called someone to sing it for me. An MP3 player would have taken care of that huh?! By the way, I've made up some of the goofyest songs. Most sound like someone after too many drinks.

Ok, favorite things I've seen today. Rice is not on the list, but it is really pretty in the breeze. When you get to Lexa there is a very old sign and then a house that must have been from back in the days. Lots of Queen Ann's Lace flowers along the way. Old churches. Oh and the little boys throwing rocks at each other. I know that's not sopposed to be funny but, there are these 2 little boys and they are on opposite ends of the yard and both just stood there and one would throw a rock at the other then reverse. Neither moved to keep from getting hit. I really wanted to call Jackie in our ER to see if we got a kid with rock trauma this afternoon. HA! I reminded me of a old west movie except rocks instead of guns.

City stuff:
Wynne has a very nice sports complex!
Cherry Valley has a great c-store but I when I sat down at the pinic table outside the blood sucking blackbirds attacked me! Ok, maybe it was mosquitos. The delta loves their pets!
The 3 girls at the c-store just outside of Marianna are sweethearts! I walked in and there was no place to sit but I had been riding for almost 40 straight miles non stop, in the heat, and after I told them what I was doing and I really needed to stop and cool down for a moment, they let me hang out in the back of the store. Even gave me great short cut directions to the hotel.
West Helena Best Western has the best check in! I walked in and told the lady I was very sorry I was dripping in sweat and smelled like the trash can and she smiled and told me it was no problem, got me checked in and gave me HOT chocolate chip cookies. If I would have died right there on the spot, I would have died happy! I got into the room and attacked them.

It was a long day of riding on the flat lands of the delta, but one thing I really believe now. When the politican's say stuff about the people of their region being great, I beleive them now. You can truly get strength from the kindness of others. Whether it's a honk and a thumbs up, a chocolate chip cookie, or a simple smile ... good deeds and kindness pull us all through the day!

Tomorrow (Thursday) takes me to McGehee. I really do like McGehee because we stop to eat at the Subway whenever we go to see Terri's folks in FL. Oh by the way, they've gotten power back on and have gone back to Navarre. Tomorrow's hotel looks to be Best Western again! Come on cookies!!!!

Y'all will laugh but I have this really great tan but I couldn't be paid to show up in a swimsuit right now! Looks like I've stuck my hands and feet in white paint. Looks like a get ad for Farmer Tan 2000 sunless tanning spray!

One last thing **warning...if you have a weak tummy, don't read it ... but if you like to do the "AWWWW GROSSS!" read on! When I was riding today there was a time when I was on a very small shoulder and lots of traffic. Anyway, there was a road flatten Armdillo and I had no choice but to go through it. I know... Eww! But it gets better!!! I reached down to grab my water bottle and as I was about to drink I smelled and suddenly realized that the road grit on one side of my water bottle was road kill spew! Water tasted like chicken! HA!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Hey George!

Glad the ride is going good so far. Sarah and I did a nice ride through the delta last summer (Little Rock through Stuttgart, Dewitt, and St. Charles), and you're right about the music being a welcome sound. We resorted to singing the theme to the Beverly Hillbillies at one point. Ride safe out there and have fun!!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home