Thursday, July 14, 2005

Day 6: West Helena to McGehee (The long way)

Start: West Helena 5:45am
End: McGehee 3:50pm
Miles: 142 (longest miles I've ever ridden in one day)

I went the long way...not on purpose. I missed a certain short cut road and saw lots of country. Of course it helped that I was in farmland where people wave and made me feel safe. So I came to ride and boy, ride I did today!

The morning started early and I slept well, finally, and had a good breakfast and on the road about 5:45. I was told not to take 49 but being that early I knew the traffic would be light and it was. The great thing was that the road construction that was on my side of the road had put down miles of pavement but not finished on that side yet so there was my very own private bike path for miles! What a dandy way to start the morning! Just as my luck ran out, guess what, the road I was taking was right there! Down the country road I went.

Beautiful delta sunrise. Then while I'm wheeling on down the road, what do I come to? A grass farm. I have a good friend, Lea Carnathan, who works at the hospital and she's from Helena and her dad and uncle own a grass farm. No way, can't be! Yes way, and there's the sign. I bust out laughing and whip out the phone and call Lea's office and tell her. She doesn't believe me at first then we both laugh and laugh! I told her what was going on at the farm this morning and her sister-inlaw drove by. I took a picture and will post when I get back.

Next I got to go through the White River Wildlife Refuge. What a place! I stopped on a bridge and looked around and imagined that it hasn't changed much since the Native American's lived there. I saw Moon Lake where my boss, Jerry (he's from Helena too) went fishing a few weeks ago.

Next stop was De Witt to talk with Erin, a reporter for the paper there. Really nice girl. I asked her if there was much news going on in De Witt right now and she said everyone is having vacation Bible school. I love small town news!

Next stop was Back Gate. Great place to stop! They're going to get a few t-shirts mailed to them! They were amazed that someone had their town on a shirt. The guys were all at one big table and I figured it was talk of watching deer grow and getting ready for high school football.

I turned and took Hwy 1 to McGehee and that's where the fun began. There was a short cut road I was supposed to watch for and I was enjoying the day and went right past it. I cost me about 40 miles! Storms were trying to form just as I got to the motel.

The towns:
West Helena: Nice Best Western, private bike path until the roads are finished.
Trenton: Big grass farm and funny dogs. Also has 2 Baptist churches across the road from each other and there's not that many folks that live out there. I guess they go to each others potlucks. HA!
De Witt: Great c-store that will let you fill you water bottles with ice and water free!
Back Gate: Eat there!

Funny stuff:
The giant man made of tires!
The combine that came up from behind me and the big arms went over me! The farmer and I enjoyed a laugh!
The daredevil big yellow birds, otherwise known as crop dusters. No one can put me beside one of those guys and call me crazier! They are fun to watch!
Those 200 dollar blue swimming pools from Wal Mart!!! There is one in every other yard in the delta! I'm really serious!
The momma dog that jumped up and ran across the yard with nursing babies attached. The little guys stayed on!

Oh remember yesterday when I said I liked McGehee? It was a different town. I can see Terri shaking her head now saying, "Yes, honey, it was. But this one has that Baskin Robbins that we ALWAYS have to stop at." I'm checked in at the Best Western and the room itself is nice but for the life of me I can't figure out where all the mosquitoes come from ... I talking about in my room! Killed at least 20-30. Will sleep with OFF on!

Tomorrow is a short day! Aren't all Friday's? HA!! I was going to stay in North Crossett but I'll be going on through and Terri, Emily and her friend Melissa are coming to kidnap me off the road.

Saturday is going to be a rest day and one that is desired if I say so myself. We'll be in El Dorado.

Here are all the questions that everyone seems to want to know:
1) Are you tired yet? Yes, but having a good time.
2) Have you run out of water? No, I'm carrying and extra besides the two I already carry.
3) How much have you raised? Not sure.
4) Your favorite day so far? Springdale to Yellville because of the folks that cheered me up the hill when I was tired.
5) Your worst moment? Other than the mosquitoes in this room, it was today when I realized that I could only keep riding and there were no other ways to get to McGehee. Also had the first thing thrown from a passing car at me. It was just a top of a plastic drink bottle and it missed me. My silent thought, Hey buddy, I hope you miss that trophy deer this season too!
6) Are you going to do it next year? Don't know. Probably not a 2 week trip but I'd like to take a group top to bottom or West to East across the state.

If you want to email me send it to: geoatthehospital@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home