Friday, July 29, 2005

End of the week thoughts (or TGIF!!!)

I've had a fun week. There have been many good wishes from friends that I'm home safe as well as pokes and prod's by my buds. I'm glad to be home but I miss the road too. I replay the days over and over and I remember how much fun it was. I even got a handwritten card from our CEO, Dr Jon Bates. I'm framing that one! What an honor!

One story that I hadn't put in the blog was the panty bridge! There is a bridge in south Arkansas and I was riding along and there were a bunch on panties hanging on it. I couldn't really tell if it was a recent prank or not. If you folks down in South Ark are missing your drawers off the clothesline, I think I know where they are!

I did get out and ride with Rance (yep, the trainer and dater of Kim). I just thought we would ride the LR side of the river but nah, we headed straight for the Broadway bridge over the Arkansas River at 5:20. The last of rush hour was poking along and we got to wait through a couple of lights. I know, I know, I should have dropped down and zipped through the standing cars but my luck has been good lately, let's not push it! Down the north side of the river and back to Rance's house and I just couldn't stand it, I dropped him off, slapped him a high five and headed toward the park for a longer ride.

Competitve Cyclist Team were doing repeats of Overlook Drive. That's a tough cookie to do repeats on. I watched for a jiffy then wanted to do a little hammering so I got my speed up to a nice 21 mph and held it all the way back to Alltel offices and then back down to behind Rance's house. Legs felt good and the burn was going on. I felt pure freedom!

One thing I realized I missed on the tour that I didn't expect was the soundtrack that comes and goes. I'm talking about the kids that love to thump their music. My son is one of those thumpers but he is over in Denver. I always find my head bobbing to the beat. I know sometimes when you sit beside them in traffic it is a pain in the tail but admit it, you love the free spirits! Next time you're in the car, crank it up! Jazz sounds good loud!

Funny story! I called Chainwheel bike shop to schedule a tune up/clean up for Tuesday and my friend Sara answered the phone! We had a good laugh because her father in law heard me on the radio talking about my adventures and I had talked about the train track wreck. Sara is a great rider and I'll ride with her and her husband Aaron anytime. Yes, Sara was the one that had the honor of crashing with me that day.

I'll head out for a ride in the morning since Terri is getting into a fitness kick and back into the walking/running that she enjoys. She said she was going to walk in the morning then pick up fresh farm veggies from the LR Farmer's Market in the River Market District. Yum! I can't wait to have a country veggie dinner. She makes the best!

A lot of folks have asked me what my next big adventure was going to be and it will happen October the 23 in Austin, Texas! Rance and I are heading down to ride with Lance Armstrong! The Ride for the Roses is that weekend and we're going to go have a boys weekend out! Plans are to ride the century and cheer on those who are fighting and those who have beat the odds against cancer. We'll also remember those that the disease has claimed. Wear your yellow wrist band and show your support!

Also I was asked to speak at the BACA meeting in September! Another huge honor! BACA is a great group here in LR that promotes biking. Go visit them at www.bacar.org It stands for Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home