Thursday, July 21, 2005

Day 13: Booneville to Perryville



Top right: Ron Rizzardi and myself after the 73 mile ride. Happy we made it!

Top left: Ron in the city park in Ola, AR. Small town with a great city park!

Right: I glow when light hits me.






Start: Booneville 6a
End: Perryville: 11:30a
73 miles

Ron and I started riding a little after 6 this morning. First stop was the c-store to load up on ice, water, and Gatorade. Great riding with a true friend. We had tailwinds pushing us along and it times we were moving along at 20 mph with ease. The miles were flying by. We laughed and talked and Ron got to hear one of my songs. I was singing to the chickens in the chicken houses. Ron was in front and started riding faster, and I just kept singing louder! We had our share of the dogs today and funny thing happened! One came running out, Ron's in front, and lo-and -behold out came the pepper spray and sprays right at the dog ... hey buddy, uh, I'm behind you!!! He sprayed again and I'm thinking, ok, I'll feel this in just a moment, aim for the grass. I kept waiting for the sting but it never came. The dog of course ran off. I laughed at my, once again, good luck! The day became hotter and hotter. We lucked upon a c-store here and there but by the time we got to Ola, water was getting low. Perry was only 6 miles away and we knew there would be water. Not much in Perry except for one fine Tire Shop. We stopped and Ron got the guy to give us water ... the best kind in my book ... out of the garden hose! Wasn't cold but did the trick! Off we go again and just need to knock out 3 more miles to Perryville and we'll stop and cool off and eat. No problem, oh crud, big momma hill! Let's go, just knock it out! I had told Ron that I had learned not to look up while climbing because to me it was a mental game! I can pedal great but if I look up then all the sudden it hits me that I'm climbing and I think I need to down shift. If I don't look at the top and just work to get there then I make it up a lot easier. We stop at a place called Ezells which is a great place if you are going through Perryville. Everyone knew each other and they made us feel welcomed. After a lengthy cool down we ordered and I called Terri to let her know where we were. She was going to leave her office around 1 but it's only about 11:30 or so. Said a big storm is around Pinnacle so we call it the end. I sat there letting the words bounce all around in my head ... it's over. Terri picks us up and we drive through the rain and lightening to Ron's house and then home. Emily comes running out and gives me a big hug. The other Emily is there as well as a couple guys that are the present "dates". Tony is the guy in Sherwood that has the really cool truck that is solid camo (he's the other Emily's guy). I knew I was home with 3 teenagers more than I'm supposed to have but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Tomorrow I will pick up Ron and we'll be under the 430 bridge to ride the final leg to the hospital. Should met up with Rance and Keith around Murray Park. Look forward to seeing friends and family after two weeks of riding. Am I a changed man? You wouldn't believe. After tomorrows ride, I'll tell some of the REAL stories that I couldn't tell that have happened along the way. Some wildly funny, some wildly dangerous! So come on back and prepare to laugh your tail off as well as say, "I'm glad we didn't know this until the ride was over!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home