Friday, July 22, 2005

Day 14: Home sweet home!

The dawn of the final day was here and I wasn’t really sure if I were excited or anxious. I guess some of both. The feeling I had was close to the same as day one in Fort Smith.

I picked up Ron and we headed down to the river for a final 11 miles to the hospital. The warm sun and humitity was present and the river was great to see. I was becoming at ease because I know every crack and bump in the road. I started to realize I was really home. We met up with Rance and Keith under the bridge and got going. At Murray Park we met up with several other cyclist and I was honored that they would take time out of their Friday to join me.

As we passed the state capitol I got my first glimpse of the hospital. A wave of relief hit me. I knew at that moment the final chapter was well in the process of being written.

We did as we were told and made it to the Nutrition Center just past South Campus and I was greeted by friends! They loaded up in the ACH version of the Pope mobile and as we pulled out to ride the to front I looked up and saw indeed the street was lined with people. My bike’s front wheel took a couple of jerks because I was becoming overwhelmed fast. I looked back to see where the other guys were and told them to stop treating me special and get up here and ride with me. They laughed.

The first wave was the kids from our child care center. What an honor! They were singing to me and I thought I could cause a little chaos so I reached down and pulled out the water bottle and sprayed it their way. I missed! HA! One little boy had his hands over his ears!

All the way down the street were friends and coworkers cheering. Honest, it was almost too much. I knew that there were going to be some folks outside but nothing can prepare you for this! I saw friends from the clinic, friends from patient accounts, friends from the main hospital and at the end of the rainbow, I saw my friends from my office!

I got a bear hug from Andree’ and spotted my family in the crowd. I hugged my dad and mom and winked to Terri in the crowd. There were so many people, and I really wanted to hug and say thank you to each and every one and in time next week, I will.

I was presented with the yellow jersey (which is given to the winner of the Tour de France). I was not expecting either. I couldn’t be happier that my boss Jerry presented it. He is a cyclist himself and gave me tons of pointers before I left. I was supposed to say some famous words and all that stuff but it left me. I have no idea what I said. I probably said something like, “Thank you, it was a great fight and I will be whipping his tail again in the rematch.” If I did then I hope Jermain’s speech went something like, “It was a great ride and I can’t wait to do it again!”

After I said whatever I said then I asked how much we got and was floored when Mr. Gordon said it was over ten thousand!! I knew at that moment that the ride for the kids was a success. I knew that someone's life would be a little better.

After a few interviews, I was off to Cracker Barrel in NLR to eat with all my family. As in the words of the small town social sections of the newspapers, “A good time was had by all.”

So I’m home now, tummy full, showered and in clean clothes, I’m trying to reflect on the trip. My niece Shannon who climbed Mt Rainer told me that it would take months to process what I had just done. I think she’s right. I can’t believe that I rode a bicycle around the state of Arkansas. Actually, it hasn’t hit me yet that I did it … did I?

Ok, now I know that there are a lot more people reading my blog than I ever imagined and most days when I would write it would be just after I got in so folks wouldn’t be worrying and know I was safe. Of course that was the worse time to write because I looked back over some of the day’s entries and scratched my head and ask myself if I really went to school? What lame grammar and spelling. So to everyone out there that slaved through my horrible writing, thanks for sticking with me!

Now, I promised some of the funny and dangerous stories from the road so here we go …

Funny:

The first morning I was so nervous that I got sick at my stomach and hid in the bathroom in the lobby.

One of the first nights I was on the road I was in a small motel and the people in the room next to me were … uh … how could I say this in a nice way … happy to be together! It was raining and I was so glad that I found a pizza delivery place and while I ate and watched the recap of the Tour de France they were “being happy”. Y’all know I’m hard of hearing but geesh come on, it’s barely dinner time folks! I heard them about to leave and I couldn’t resist so I looked out the window and locked eye with the guy and I busted out laughing. The girl realized what had just happened and hopped in the car very fast, embarrassed (I hope!).

I stopped at a look out point and some guy in an 18 wheeler pulls over and gets out and starts to take a whiz! I’m not looking in that direction and didn’t even realize that the driver had gotten out. I was taking photos of the mountains and was going to try and piece together a panoramic style photo series. Next thing I realized was that I’m pointing the camera almost straight at the guy doing his business, he sees me, I see him, I try to turn away, he tries to get zipped up, I start laughing really loud, he no doubt thinks I’m some whacko. I try to be nice and hop on my bike and leave the parking lot. But of course it can’t be that easy. He starts his truck and we both head for the drive at the same time! I see him moving, he turns and sees me right outside his truck and boy, I had no idea that you can make a truck take off that fast!

McGehee: Oh now I really thought I had lost my mind that day. The wrong turn which made me drive an extra approximately 40 miles, my hearing aid shut down, storms were brewing. I was so tired that when I checked in I got in the shower with my hearing aid on and didn’t even realize it until I was washing my hair. My hearing never smelled so clean after that. Didn’t work worth a flip either!

South Arkansas c-store: I was getting water and a lady asked me how far I was riding. But she thought I was lying. I mean she really thought I was lying. She told me there was no way on God’s green earth that a normal person would ride a bicycle all the way around the state. I told her it had been done before and she told me it had not or she would have heard about it. She kept rolling her eyes. I finally got my change and left. A few minutes later another customer went in and came out just as I was leaving the parking lot and the guy looked at me and shook his head like I can’t believe you would come up with a cock-a-dooley story like that and expect anyone in our town to believe you!

I was riding along one day and there had been a lot of tire pieces all over the place. This is something really common from about central Ark south. Anyway, I riding along and just dodging them was a chore then one of the pieces of black rubber came to life! It was a big ole snake! I thought I could get around and thump … right over him! Someone asked me what kind it was and, trust me, the snake nor myself care to ever see each other again! It was black and it wiggled, you narrow it down!

There is a food store outside of Jonesboro called Food Giant and there is a sign on the ground that's bigger than the store sign that say's "Get your guns and ammo here". Honey, I need to run down to the store and get a gallon of milk and a new 12 gauge shotgun! Be right back!"

The dangerous:
The day I thought the trip was going to come to an end was the very first. Vince is a great rider and can fly down the hills. We were going down some big hill before we ever got to the mountain and Vince was in front. I was going so fast that the bike started to vibrate to the point that I could not focus. I mean I really could not see. I was trying to slow down but I didn’t want Vince to think I was a loser. Finally I hit the brakes a little and straightened out. Later that day as the club riders met up with us the light changed red and half the club got through and I was in the half that didn’t. I applied the brakes and nothing happened. I was either about to take out half of this club or I was going to fly right into the line of oncoming traffic. Somehow, the brakes locked at the last moment and I slide right to the front of the line. One of the guys said, “Wow, a power slide!”

Riding in Hurricane Dennis. Rained so hard I couldn’t see. Trucks sprayed me and I couldn’t tell when it was a water puddle or not. I rode a lot that day without being clipped to the pedals.

The pack of dogs outside of Mena. There was a pack of dogs that came charging out and this was the first time that one actually seemed to be intent on eating me. I was about to give the dog a shot of water to the face when out of no where comes a red pick up driven by a Hispanic lady. She was honking and carrying on and I thought it must be her dog but she whipped the truck toward me and chased the dog honking and flashing her lights. I was very grateful and started singing Gretchen what’s-her-name’s song “Redneck Woman”.

Just outside of Mena the shoulder of the road disappeared and it’s raining and no place for trucks to move over if another car was coming. I was riding along and a truck came from behind very fast and in the lane. I was coming up to a very narrow spot in the road and there was a creek that goes under the road with no guard rails. The truck flew by, sprayed the skin off of me and the air caused a vacuum that jerked my bike and sent me about an inch from going off. It would have been the end if I had. I stopped and looked down at the creek and rocks and said a prayer of thanks.

Ok friends in Employee Health, this one’s for you! The day I went to MeGehee, I really ran out of water and stopped sweating. I thought strange thoughts to the point of I wonder what would happen if I stopped and got in this family’s swimming pool? Could I tell them I was in danger of heat exhaustion? Would I get arrested or shot first? I thought the same about a creek I passed. I sort of remember a junk dealer stopping to ask me if I were ok. I remember the U of A Argi Center truck stopping to check on me. I remember the police kept going by over and over. I remember singing Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Those are the things I remember. Who knows what I forgot!

There were days when my left arm would be completely numb by the end of the day.

On highway 1 outside of Jonesboro are a lot of folks with FL license plates. There was an RV that got so close due to a small shoulder that the mirror went right over my head.

Ok, there you go. You know if I would have included the danger notes that people would have begged me to abandon the ride. I knew I couldn’t stop and, honest, many times when I felt lonely or pain, I thought of our patients. That’s what the ride was about. Feel their pain and fear. Some days I was the rider, some days I was the patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home